Sunday, September 30, 2012

Watermelon Feta Salad with a Twist

Today I was having magazine catch-up Sunday. I am not feeling that well today so after Yoga this morning and a nap I went right to the couch and got out the stack of unread magazines. They sure had been stacking up. About halfway through the mountain I came across my Good Housekeeping magazine, which was a pleasant break from the Glamours and Cosmos, and came across an article of 5 Ways to Use Watermelon This Summer.

Immediately I realized I was hungry for a snack and had some watermelon in the fridge. The recipe I liked was the Savory Melon Salad. I didn't have the lime juice, so I improvised a bit with that, and added an ingredient.

I took about 5 big chunks of watermelon and tossed them with about a tbsp of reduced fat feta cheese. I also sprinkled them with a little bit of salt and pepper. I thought maybe some sweet vidalia onion would be good too so I sauteed a few small slices of vidalia onion with about a 2 tsp of olive oil. Once they were slightly warm I added just a pinch of Splenda Sugar Blend to the pan. This crisped and sweetened up the onions and they were delicious. I tossed them in the watermelon and added a squirt of lemon juice to the remaining olive oil in the pan and poured it over. I tossed everything together and added some fresh cilantro on top.

Can we say YUMMY!

And, the thinly sliced sugary vidalia onions were so good I am trying to think of other things I could make them with! 

Well, back to the magazine stack to see what other ideas and creations I can come up with. :) 


1 comment: